The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

meantime, i gotta talk to brooke about something. called the baseline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vODBkh1BXY&feature=related

tonight, the cute boy at table five told me i had pretty teeth. which made me smile. which made me feel awkward, like the smile was bragging. then, an old rich white guy got mad because his steak was cold and told my manager that i was negligent. i proceeded to throw dishes around, mutter to myself about impeccable waitressing skills. said to the dishwasher (celso), "gracias por su ayuda ayer por la noche." only, it came out as only "thanks for last night," to which he chuckled. like i'd said something dirty. reenacted a part of above scene with carlyle (move yourself!)...i think it's a good sign when you can reference the break up freely with someone you recently stopped seeing. began to read jorie graham's the end of beauty. find the syntax and "swiftness" of pacing incredible, like a lovely verbal wind. did the carlton while singing "meet you all the way! rosannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yeah," forgetting the customers still in the restaurant. read fabulous drafts of poems by students. called hannah, who said, "you're like the genderless narrator in written on the body. as in, you have both male and female personas. i only want the you that loves me." e-mailed godbrother who recently sent me a care package containing a hoodie he designed. it says "prosody" in cursive along the neck. it makes me feel both street and poet-ish. he e-mailed back only in shakespeare quotes: could we but learn from whence his sorrow grows we would as willingly give as know is the day so young?

have been considering dylan covers for days now. am wondering how so many artists breathe such life into his work. how neko case lends humor to "buckets of rain," which i think dylan intended to do. how sufjan stevens breathes spirituality into "ring them bells." i sat in my driveway and listened to that song three times before coming in tonight.

that's all. i really just wanted to post the scene, but it wouldn't let me embed. and a high hat...and a high hat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

does my opinion not matter!

JaySlacks said...

You can embed. When it says you can't, there is a little box you can check at the top. I embed ALL the time. If you'd let me guest blog, you'd know that. But I'm not bitter...

Mamie said...

you know, when i saw that there were, indeed, two what-whats (i can hardly say that with a straight face), i KNEW one would be from you or eric telling me how to embed.

you're so predictable. which is why you will never guest blog. NEVER!!!!

JaySlacks said...

God, what did I do?

eric said...

Fine. I will NEVER try to help again.

Street? With street cred comes a street name. Maybe Sin-tax? Or Verbal Wind?