The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

work.

talking about book projects is as dangerous as talking about, oh i don't know, the story behind your tattoos. that being said:

i've been trying to map how a collection of essays about "work" could become some sort of scrapbooked memoir. you know: bartending at sixteen. running a trainwreck of a day spa. seven days at victoria's secret. teaching. but the idea of work. work and collaboration. (for example: morgan became my friend because she was my boss at said day spa.)

so, i took myself out to dinner with a copy of labor days, an anthology of fiction about work that was put together by david gates. anyway, the bartender asks what i'm doing. i tell her. she says:

did you see rachel ray yesterday?

me: of course not.

her: 52 JOBS IN 52 WEEKS!!!

she's yelling this. i swear. so i googled, and it turns out some guy named sean aiken spent a year working a different job every week...due to the fact that he doesn't know what he wants to "do" with his life. all the proceeds go to charity.

http://www.oneweekjob.com/

this is a cool, proactive idea. this is also why i hate rich people:

when i walked into my parents' house the other day, my mom was sitting on the couch with every single issue of garden & gun magazine. ("god. it sounds like an intervention," hannah said.)

mom says, "you should intern at garden & gun for six months. just say, 'you don't have to pay me. just give me a job.'"

me, fuming: "mom, if i had fifty thousand dollars in savings, i'd intern for a whole year. but i don't have the funds to get my foot in the door, as it were."

you don't have to pay me. just give me a job.

you know. for the experience.

5 comments:

eric said...

Holy shit. I thought Garden and Gun was a joke. It's not. It's a real magazine.

"Garden & Gun is dedicated to the sporting life and all things indigenous to the South and the Caribbean."

The Caribbean? Ah yes. I can see the commonality, "...a 44-year-old avid hunter and saltwater fly fisherman. I also like a great bottle of wine and 700 thread-count cotton sheets on my hunt camp bed." has a lot in common with indigenous people from the Caribbean. Indigenous, it says.

Mamie said...

yes, eric. CLYDE writes for it. and rick bragg and other AWESOME writers. but, keep going.

eric said...

Yes, they are great, awesome writers, but it doesn't deter from the fact that the mag is full of shit when it prints statements like that. SOrry, but it's true.

Anonymous said...

Garden and Gun sounds like a Johnny Cash song.

\

Mamie said...

deter? DETER? f off. you've never seen it. get off the computer and go READ one. oh, and pick me up an architectural digest and a vanity fair (it's the young hollywood issue!!!) while you're out. we'll spend next week reading aloud to each other by han's pool.

thanks.