The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

like a bird into a window

i wanted to run like a crazy person out of yesterday. but really, i just slumped out if it. put myself down on the couch, watched the neighbors host a dinner party with peonies and sparkling and what looked life soufflĂ©. in the kitchen, two women moved with their arms around each other’s waist. drifted together back to the dining room, carrying between them a basket of fruit. the others at the table reclined in their seats, tilted their faces up. it was fucking gorgeous.

meanwhile, i’m squirming in the griminess of my life. i keep thinking i’ll hatch out of my past, or crack the shell of the present, and emerge swanlike—all clean and and and…winged? what the hell am i saying. i am saying that i hate the constant reminders of how weird my life is. it feels diseased. or rabid. yes, yes that’s it. a rabid life all yellow toothsome snarl. run. save yourselves.

basically, i can pass myself off as one of you until the rental agency is like, Get rid of them [children] or get out. and i’m all, Oh. I have children. Oh, and wait, that’s not anywhere near normal. and then all the other messed up weird bits of my life start jumping up and down screaming for attention in my head. there’s the Psycho Dad section waving its arms, screaming, Don’t forget me! then Most Bizarre Past Ever comes out banging drums, and soon all these alarming components are trundling awkwardly and excitedly around in my head like the world’s most freakish parade all swaying to Frank Sinatra.

this is day 2 of The Cleansing. seems relevant at this point. yesterday almost worked out, because for most of it i was too distracted by living to feel hungry. but last night definitely found mimosa and i eating the wee bit of the kids’ chicken and okra that was leftover. we looked at it, picked up forks and devoured all two bites. delish. today is actually easier. am not hungry. am happy and energetic. or else, i’m delusional. also fine by me.

4 comments:

Cue said...

Am sending you major props for following through with the cleansing! -- Of which, I haven't. I forgot to buy the lemons, and then stuff happened, and suddenly "cleansing" has turned into "living off coffee" which is not the same at all.

But I want to join this bandwagon. Really, I do.

Unknown said...

Way to go on your "cleansing" effort. My co-worker is on Day 10 today (her last day). I have thought about trying it. That is about how far I have gotten.

hannah said...

eh. i'm not entirely sure if it's worth it. am fine, not dying. but neither do i feel all that different. and it's nuts how many lemons you need. i ran out today and am resignedly drinking cayenne syrup water.

also, i'm sadder without food. last night, i made pad thai for the kids and didn't have onion OR egg, and just shrugged, Doesn't matter.

that apathy freaked me out so much, i started working on a recipe for peach eclairs with a bourbon caramel glaze to resurrect my inner foodie.

Cue said...

Well, hell. I'm inspired. If I can just find TIME to go to the store and procure the goods, I'm totally going to give this a try.