The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Raindrops on Aaron and kittens in heat

Hi. How’s it going? Are you all baking cookies and holding hands? Is your house/cave ablaze with cheer??! WHOOOOHOOOO CHRISTMAS. Thanks for taking a break from all the joy to visit the blog, where I have decided to do a list of my least favorite and most favorite things.

LF: That it’s Friday night and I have a wicked flu and fever and am at home writing this list.

MF: That Mamie is currently at a slumber party which involves Webkinz and 4 yr old girls.

LF: That Maus is in heat. It’s god-awful. I wanted to hold off blogging about it because there’s something shameful and humiliating about having a cat in heat. Like it’s too private or something. Next thing you know I’ll be fretting about showing my ankles in front of men. Whatever. It’s so bad that she yeowls fearfully all the time and slinks about in this posture, if you know what I mean, and backs herself up pleadingly to inanimate objects. I’m SORRY but it’s TRUE. And before you put your fingertips together knowingly, let me just say that she’s too young to be spayed. This is the eeee-eeend of the innocence.

MF: After the wind had blown Aaron’s hood off his head six times in succession today, he stopped walking, stamped his foot, glowered up at the sky, and shouted, “STOP. STOP WINDING AND RAINING. I’LL. BUY. YOU. A. PRESENT.” He enunciated the words just like that, to make sure his words made it up to the sky.

“What kind of present would you give the rain to stop?” I asked him.

“I’d write it a book,” he told me.

“What kind of book?”

“A book where it could rain and wind the whole way through.” And the boy who thought he could bribe the rain with a story tugged his hood up and shoved his hands in his pockets.

LF: The fact that my neighbors, en masse, have delivered cards and presents. The worst were these fruit/nut balls, which were straight up inedible. It all means I’ll have to go out again tomorrow to buy these sort of ridiculous tree candles from Pottery Barn bc they practically hurtle themselves at you screaming, Perfect gift for neighbors!!

Also, they have informed that our neighborhood does this whole business of candles in sand-weighted milk jugs on Christmas eve. The whole effort just seems like some sort of frantic show, some deranged tribute to our merriment. "Just make sure you have a dozen milk jugs sawed in half", they said cheerfully, "and those tall candles; if you use short ones, make sure you run out in the night and change them out." I eyed them warily--WHO exactly are we doing this for? And right then, it occurred to me. We'll probably have carollers. Do you have to tip them??

MF: Kan, tonight, as I was leaving their room. Oh, and by the way, do you know that they recite the ee cummings poem to me now, the i carry your heart with me one? Anyhow, after they recite the poem to me and say their prayers in Hebrew, Kan goes:

"Hannah, reach out your hand. There is a kiss whistling softly by the lamp."



**Soon to come: "From hairdresser to mailman: who gets the gift?" Ok, so that probably won't happen, although Mamie and I have this conversation all the time: SHOULD I buy them for teacher's ASSISTANTS? (Yes, yes, obviously yes. Candles from Pottery Barn shaped likes doves and trees.)

7 comments:

JaySlacks said...

I was reading this and thinking, why isn't Hannah on Twitter. Then I thought, don't, because she'll be addicted. And then I thought, i WANT her addicted. Oh, and if you buy me anything this year I'll jump off a high cliff. Not sure if that makes you rush out to Walmart or not. Just saying.

wrdcreater said...

First of all, I kinda like the crop job you did on the header, it is really punk! Secondly, he should write that book... I have a feeling it would be a great one.

hannah said...

jarv, are you trying to tell me you want to exchange gifts? because you got me a new ipod?

wrd, the book would be perfect. except that he has the attention span of a goldfish. and will go from philosopher to kid who gurgles 'ehhhh spiderman's cool' with his fist shoved in his mouth.

oh, and i have no idea what's going on with the blog layout. i'd actually been assuming it was just coming up that way on my screen. probably mamie's fault.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you're feeling better! And I have to tell you that once the ladycats are spayed, they're not tons better. Especially about that ... POSTURE. Oh, that POSTURE. And the POSTURE response to petting. Ew, ew, EW. It's a good thing Gertrude Stein is so cute. Except, of course ...

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how to say this delicately. But I had a sweet little girl cat once who went into heat and was doing the POSTURE and the backing into things, which of course totally freaked me out. I called the vet for some advice and he suggested, ahem, how shall I say this? He thought I should "relieve" the cat with a q-tip and some vaseline. Needless to say I did NOT do this and changed vets immediately.

Sorry. I had to share.

hannah said...

oh holy f*ck lauren. i mean. jesus.

Anonymous said...

i think of this song every time y'all mention the poem. i just searched for the lyrics. and...well...

all the things i've done in time
were justified the day stars aligned
and you came here and filled this space
of an empty place inside my soul
left open by old loves grown cold
and when i saw you angels sang amazing grace
so don't let go too soon or hold on too strong
a love like this could never be wrong
to hold you, i will with all my might
the most significant thing i'll ever do
has to do with loving you
to hold you, and keep you warm at night
have you ever walked down a road alone
and noticed how it seemed so long
and you wondered if you're ever gonna make it home
but you carry in your heart a love you've found
and it lifts you up as your thoughts turn around
and you can feel it as it gently lays you down
so don't let go too soon or hold on too strong
a love like this could never be wrong
to hold you, i will with all my might
the most significant thing i'll ever do
has to do with loving you
to hold you, and keep you warm at night
i carry your heart wherever i go
i carry it in my heart
i carry your heart wherever i go
i carry it in my heart...

"carry your heart" by the blue dogs