The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

p.s. hannah has a soul.

i warned her about this p.s. i love you movie. i said, "that's the one, that's the one where i cried through the whole thing. then after. only to then yell at then-boyfriend, who did not cry, maybe you've never been devastated!!!!!!!!"

so she got what was coming to her, which we'll get to shortly.

i stayed up half the night reading my seniors' final portfolios and woke early to finish them. midway through a particularly strong student's, a certain swell-of-pride thing happened. and i started sobbing. at starbucks. at seven in the morning. so i call her, i say,

oh my god. i'm bawling. i'm just so proud of them.

her: jesus. you're pathetic. get it together.

me: i can't help it. they're just so good. and to be a part of that. and they're leaving.

her: i'm so embarrassed for you. get outta there. go some place where people can't see you. or hear you.

me: i gottagotoclass.

her: good. i'm going to watch p.s. i love you.

me: just you wait. in two hours this whole scenario is going to be flipped.

her: whatever. i'm going to show you just how heartless i am.

two hours later, the phone rings.

her (a blubbering mess): it's. just. so. sad.

me: what?

her: all of it. life. the fact that there are no jerry's in this world. that hilary swank could go on living in that beautiful place with all those beautiful clothes and not have a job or anything.

two hours later:

her: hey. i'm looking out my window and there are these kayakers in a cove. i can't tell if they're stranded or if they're happy being there. whatever. what are you doing?

10 comments:

hannah said...

ugh. wish my soul hadn't made its tearful appearance. am exhausted. and have a crying headache.

it was just one kayaker. and he's still spinning slowly in circles in the middle of this maze-like marsh island. looks like a sort of content spinning and not a 'help! you there--the only one who can see me--help!!' spinning.

eric said...

Are you gals going to blog about the 'Sex and the City' movie too!! I mean, that is why Mamie is visiting. Girls night out and that SITC movie, right? Which SITC character are you?!?!

Hugs and giggles.

eric said...

SITC is meant to be SATC.

Mamie said...

i hate sex and the city. if you knew me at all, you'd know that. cosmos? hats to formal functions? jesus.

eric said...

Ok. Maybe you don't wear hats to formal functions. Btw, I cringed typing 'ff.' Anyway, you totally should. I guess you have to copy and paste.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/2387/mamhathb9.jpg

hannah said...

you people make no sense. what is 'ff'? and that link goes nowhere; think it's cut off.

who CARES about sex and the city?? prince caspian is HOT!

eric said...

ff = formal function. duh.

if mamie would post one of the many photos she has of herself at formal functions wearing a hat i wouldn't have to photoshop one and post a link that doesn't work!!!

umm..i do remember those evenings of you forcing me to watch sex and the city.

me: can we please watch something else? anything. pleeeease.
you: no. we are watching sex and the city. or i'll burn your dogs with my curling iron again.

caspian's a wanker. he's too keanu reeves. wanker.

Unknown said...

Um.........Mames.......do I or don't I recall you attending on one of the many Sex and the City dinner parties I had back in the day? :-)

Mamie said...

yeah, but only because that friend of your's was studying to become a message therapist and she rubbed my back for, like, an hour.

Mamie said...

your's. huh...