The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

two moments with my insightful niece:




today, the family trekked to our mountain house for my dad's birthday. after lunch, morgan hauled me up to the top so she could play on the zip line. she spends several minutes pulling a chair to it and hoisting herself up while i, i lay purposeless in the grass, all but chewing it:

me: need help?
morgan: whatever.
me: painfully stupid silence
morgan: you know, mame, if the world were smart, we'd have no cars and lots of string to zip around the world on.

last week, morgan begins what i think is a knock-knock joke:

morgan: hey, what's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull?
me: what?
morgan: nothing. that lady's stupid.


this is after my sister astutely said, "i mean, she ran what, exactly? alaska? i mean, i could govern alaska. it's hardly a state. they're, like, nine people up there."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the one about Sarah Palin. Your niece is adorable, as usual.

Mamie said...

per usual, cole. i'm only waiting for stevie, my alaskan, to revolt...

i'll be down soon for a restaurant opening. will get in touch.

interstellar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

alaska is i am sure a wonderful place. but i can only assume it would be more wonderful without sarah palin.

and excellent (:

wrdcreater said...

I want a zip line!

eric said...

so unfair. i can't be a smart ass about a insightful/idealistic child. actually, i could but i won't.

Mamie said...

bring it, erock. i will kick your envirocar's ass. have you seen me when people even think about f*cking with my family?