The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Friday, August 31, 2007

how i met my husband

i don't want to do this. but if i don't give this to you, she (mamie) will. and i can't allow this to look any worse than it already does.

let's just say that there is no reason for me to know anything about cars. i mean, my father taught me boats--i'll help you chip barnacles off a hull, refinish the wood trim, even sew you up a spinaker so you can swinging on the halyard.

but cars, i know nothing, zero, squat about. and apparently, neither do my male friends (oh, you know who you are--and yes, i blame you for this, you HEARD the noise).

so a week ago, my car broke up with me. it said, Listen, things aren't working out. it said this with a crazy rattling noise and convulsions. people (you know who you are) shouted: alternator! starter! belts! coils! plugs! five hundred dollars! twelve hundred dollars!

for a week, a whole WEEK, i've been bumming rides, eating chinese, and staving off the desperate need for independence. today, the tow guy comes for the car. he is the nicest man i've ever met. you are, steve. he wants to know what the car is doing. i give him the key--the car does its signature we-are-so-over noise and steve looks up at me: "yeah, it's the battery."
in the background, my next door neighbor is watching and laughing. i hate her and want her to go away.
--"but, all my guy friends... they seemed so sure," i mumble.
--says steve, "what do THEY do for a living?"

i don't tell steve that they're writers. what i do tell him, promptly, is that we should get married. he agrees, but doesn't get off work until 7. which works for me.

while we talk about the wedding, he manages to reattach this entire rubber THING that's been dangling off the front of my car for a year now. i have to say, it was pretty hot.


p.s. it would be possible to misread parts of this as sexist. it just so happens that the only people who offered a loud opinion were men. i'm fully aware that women are equally capable of auto repair as men (prob more so, bc you know, we're smarter), just not this one.

p.s.#2 our friend eric's blog, the heaviest bike, is back up. check it yo.

4 comments:

Mamie said...

sexist? jesus. the hottest man in my life is my mechanic, johnny. that's his real name. something about the way he shakes his head at my stupidity, reaches in the dash, and fixes everything (my interior lights, my spirituality, my life path) within moments...

maybe the four of us could meet at south of the border for drinks?

eric said...

Wait. So the sound that you described as ‘a bunch of empty cans rattling’ or something like that was your battery? For the record, I never heard the sound. And is it fixed? At the shop?

Anonymous said...

it was the battery. something was also loose, i don't know.

it's fixed!

sallylynn said...

i was right. take it from a girl next time, sweetheart, a girl who changed her own battery (with help from a man in a red truck) in the middle of winter in the wal-mart parking lot.

love you.