The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Saturday, September 1, 2007

consider the hummingbird

today is perfect, and no one can ruin it for me. everyone is beautiful. everyone weighs just the right amount. everyone is a superior driver. everyone here in the coffee shop is beaming encouragingly at me, so that i feel grand and expansive. it's like a commercial for soda or deodorant or something.

last night, i was eating at deluxe with mimosa--things really started to look up when the mussels in their coconut-green curry broth showed up. but then--and mamie, you'll love this--julie (our server) vanishes for, like, 45 minutes. but we're not worried. there's wine, there's calamari. why worry? and when she does come back, she says she's been at edge of urge where the whole store is 75% off. holy shit, we say to each other over white chocolate and wild blueberry bread pudding with bourbon coconut ice cream and goat caramel.

so this morning, after the farmer's market and before the dixie, we go to edge of urge. it was unreal. it was spiritual. i bought over $1200 worth of shoes and dresses--my total? $200. i'm so peaceful right now i'm floating.

clearly, today i will write my entire book. when it's done, i'm going to go get an ice cream cone. come, let's eat ice cream together (i recommend the key lime pie, but whatever, it's about what makes you feel best), we'll hold hands and read to each other in the beautiful evening, point out the moon, and plan for the beautiful future, which is full of trips to the alhambra and yacht trips in the greek isles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. This entry should have gone out as a text. I am running to Edge of Urge right now.

JaySlacks said...

Reading your blog makes me sleeping. And I saw the owner of Edge of Urge last night, drinking with someone I know. They held hands happily. As I was leaving, I thought, man, all I want to do right now is play putt-putt. No, I'm not sure how the three things (your dinner, Edge of Urge and Putt Putt) work out. But they do work out. Everything works out. I don't really work out. Just enough to stay slim. I'm going to nap now...