The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Monday, October 8, 2007

let 'em work, let 'em live: a poll

in college, my friend's older brother worked as a roadside construction guy. not even that. he held up the STOP/SLOW sign that guided traffic. he did this for months, and i would've felt bad for the guy if he hadn't been such an ass to me when we were kids.
i don't trust people who have never had god-awful jobs. they build character, assuming you don't have to stick with one for too long...assuming, also, we're talking jobs that are legal.

i worked at the same bar for seven years, beginning as a hostess the same month i turned fifteen. by seventeen, i had taken shots of bourbon off the hot food line and directed patrons to their seats by imitating an air traffic control guy, using rolled silverware in lieu of flashlights (precisely the reason my children will never work in bars).
the summer before my sophomore year in college, i picked up a second job at victoria's secret. i hung underwear on cushioned hangers, wore a black wool suit in july, and answered the phone all day like this: "thank you for calling victoria's secret, home of the new lightly lined, deep V, cotton bra collection." after seven days i called in, saying, "i'm not coming in."
janice, my boss, said, "this morning?"
i said, "no, not ever."
i vaguely remember some threat about not EVER being allowed to work for the limited corporation again.

at the same age, my sister managed to get fired from her stint at ACE hardware. also from her work at a calabash drive-thru.

in grad school, i worked first as a catering server and was forced to wear a full annie lennox tuxedo. i tried constantly to feel like a guest at these parties, thought for sure at times that i blended in, that i might meet mr. somewhatbetterthanwrong while carrying around trays of mini crab cakes, one white linen draped over my shoulder, my hair a frizzy mess from the kitchen's heat lamps.

the best, though, the absolute best was my year-long run as the manager of a day spa. even better, this opportunity only occurred after morgan (friend morgan, not niece morgan) moved to brooklyn and i became her successor (she had hired me as a receptionist). i argued with reps about nail polish colors we desperately needed but were out of: "what do you MEAN, havana nights red and holy pink pagoda are on back order? joan smythe is going to FLIP when she comes in for her manicure." or, even more often, entire bridal parties showed up at dawn on saturdays for "up do's." these were a stylist's worst nightmare. inevitably, half of the hairdressers would be hungover and unaccounted for, their whereabouts unknown, and i'd be left with a hysterical bride named christy to deal with.

this is why it infuriates me when struggling artists who have never done manual labor or worked in a restaurant say they can't find work. give me a break. a good bit of my thesis was written while priming and painting all the doors and entryways of wilmington's bellamy mansion.

and it always comes down to this: you call your mother to say, "that's it. the guy at table 6 thanked me for a shot of frangelico by shoving money into my back pocket and slapping me on the ass like we were at platinum plus." or, "i scrubbed the porch of the bellamy with something that LOOKED like murphy's oil soap but was actually some sort of acid."
to which she replies, "at least this will make for good material." or, if she's really asking for it, a chipper "it's all copy." i'm over it. i don't want any more material; god knows i don't have time to make any sense of it.

anyway, a poll: i want to know shitty jobs, and i want to know them now. i feel like we've done this before? on tom's blog? somewhere? i don't care. jobs. now. MOOOVE!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've worked in family business since i was thirteen. god, i sound like a fucking gotti. i did leave for a few months to bartend at red lobster. i enjoyed the garlic cheese bread a little too much. the weight gain, subsequent offer of more money and time off to play music prompted me to return to the family. the baptist grandparents LOVED the fact that i was serving alcohol. appartently, they weren't down with the moonshine like the other bosses of furniture families. jesus. you try to leave and they just pull you right back in...

hannah said...

mamie. i've never told you this, but this is a time to try men's souls.

1. when i was 17, i worked as a manager in a telemarketing company. it was a racket, and i knew it, and at the end of my stint there i was soul-sick and didn't leave my apt for weeks.

2. translating legal documents from french to english and back again for my dad. it wasn't so bad, except i NEVER GOT PAID. it went into a college fund, otherwise known as the lie fund. you owe me, Pops.

wrdcreater said...

Hmm. All of my jobs were shitty in some way or another, but mainly bosses were shitty. I think I could write a book on all of the jobs I have had and sell it to someone out there. I will just list the type of jobs I have had for one day or more, and I will go into detail on my blog within a week or so.

Here we go:
Leaf Raker, Paper Boy, Babysitter, Gardener, Line Cook, Medical Records File Clerk, Library Page, Warehouseman, Security Guard, Loss Prevention Officer, Hotel Security, Lumber Yard Attendant, Night Club Security, Package Sorter/Loader UPS, Office Clerk, Construction Worker, Warehouse Manager, Technical Writer, Apartment Manager, Handyman, Telemarketer (24 Hour Nautalist), Transcriptionist, Sold Newspaper Subscriptions Door to Door, Pressure washer, Mall Security and I am sure I am missing one or two somewhere.

JaySlacks said...

I've worked as a produce clerk and a produce manager. about 45 hours a week. My favorite moment. Thanksgiving, 2002. 6am. I am working in the back cooler. I hear movement.

"You got any sweet potatoes?" a woman asks. 5 foot 1. 300 pounds. Barefoot in a momo.

Jessica said...

At Shoe Show we were not allowed to sit down, ever, even if nobody was in the store. We were instructed to roam the aisles in search of tennis shoes that had been laced up...and then unlace them. "Why?" I cried plaintively. "I hate that, how they're never laced! It's better for the customer, really, trust me, they want them laced...they're shoes!" To no avail. "Used," they said. "Makes the shoes" -- the glistening, gleaming shoes -- "look used."

Also: a store I can't remember the name of, with green aprons, something depot, a cross between home depot and lowes. Worked as a cashier at 17, fell in lust with a 28 year old divorcee in hardware w/2 kids and a penchant for disrobing me on the hood of my car in the cavernous parking lot before my midnight curfew. The next summer I worked at IBM as part of a scholarship and introduced my 28 yr old experson to my favorite 38 yr old lady, never married, bossy and blonde and fond of following around the FedEx guy. They dated for two years. I was pleased. It was my first matchmaking attempt.

Medlin-Davis dry cleaners, swanky neighborhood. People would come in via the drive-through and sling their bags over the sill, knocking me over, then speed away. Their names were embroidered onto the bags so they didn't have to speak. Sometimes when people treated me as a moron I was tempted to tell them I was in college, at Duke, and sometimes I would work that in. They would always be nicer after that, but pretty soon I realized that I'd rather receive the rudeness. They should have been nice no matter if I was a high school drop out or a career dry cleaner(ist?). Besides, I was only 19 and didn't understand prejudices yet - it wasn't smarts they were after, it was class. Money, not brains. It felt better after I went quiet and didn't participate - I just let them spell their names for me "J-O-N-E-S. Jones" and smiled.

Jessica said...

Oh, forgot grad school:

13 months at Monkey Junction Self Storage, riding around on the golf cart, sweeping units and counting the monkeys (lamps, statues, card holders, etc) in the lobby: 29. 29 monkeys.

Manhattan Bagel. Cut my finger 11 times, bled into the clear gloves. One to the emergency room but I didn't need stitches and then I was embarrassed.

Cue said...

So many, so much "material," starting with my first non-babysitting job at the outdoor snack bar of the local YMCA. I add "outdoor" to give the whiff of summer, of the swimming pools and lifeguards and over-tanned yuppie moms pointedly ignoring their children's whines for popsicles! and RING POPS! And there I was, fifteen, quiet and self-conscious and smelling of fry grease, handing over hot dogs and cokes and buckets of salty fries with ketchup through a narrow sliver of window above a counter.

Let us not discuss the flies, the heat, the way the grease smell lingered all the way home. Or my boss, who was a towering red-head named Gail with long, pointed fingernails and short-shorts and a petite Italian husband named Franco. Or how my friend Mike, who I thought was cool, taught me how to smoke Marlboro Reds in the back room when Gail went on her lunch breaks.

Or how I made all of $5 an hour, or thereabouts. Hideous.

mendacious said...

i'm slow on the uptake but i'll try to encapsulate it in a blog poste haste!