The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Friday, October 19, 2007

you're simply fourth place

The scene at the appreciation luncheon was startling. Mot Znuk was not his normal heavy-lidded self, but charged up somehow. I’m starting to link this behavior to situations involving free food. Remember the involvement carnival? The Jesus dogs?

So, he’s all amped about the potato salad, is waving his fork about, is telling his chicken if no one were watching he’d be using his hands (“I’d get in there, I’d eat you right up”). I want to shout gross, but don’t because I’ve dropped food down my front. We’re a disaster. I’m outrageously uncomfortable. The giant bird mascot keeps coming really close and waving and I can’t find the eyes.

“In his mouth, in the beak,” Mot says peering, squinting. Then, with his mouth full, he’s telling someone who’s stopped by our table, that we don’t know, “This is some spread; really, a fine spread.”

Point out to Mot that I’ve eaten five cornbread mini-muffins. “You’ve got muffin fever,” Mot says jovially. I wipe butter off my wrist. He wipes chicken off his sunglasses and whisper-screams like a little girl when the chancellor walks up. Disaster.

Plus, they’re playing “You’re Simply the Best.” On loop. As in, it’s the only song playing. Nearby someone uses the term “critters” in a conversation about safaris. We get seconds.

3 comments:

Mamie said...

okay, best one liner ever:

"he wipes chicken off his sunglasses."

Cue said...

This one may even top the Jesus Dogs.

hannah said...

once, someone (ashley) made me go to a leadership seminar for dept funding. it was masterful inductive reasoning. 1st, it was just a short 'thing'--no big deal. then it was breakfast. then it was breakfast on saturday at 7am. then i was there and a woman--a real live woman!--was singing 'i believe the children are our future...' and i was refusing to walk inside. walk in THERE? nuh-uh, no way.