The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

new digs





my mother calls a few weeks ago, says:

"listen, i have a few new rules for you. i know you're grown, know also that we never gave you many rules as a child. which is precisely your problem. but i've been thinking. no more dating men in the food industry. and no more dating children. now, there's nothing wrong with the industry OR children per se."

*i should note here that by children my mother means man-boys. to her (who, keep in mind, married a 35 year-old when she was 20), this constitutes anyone under the age of thirty.

she says, "really, i don't see why you bother. actually, i don't think you should date at all. yes. i think that's even better. refocus your energy: career and a new place to live!!!"

to her credit, my mother is almost always right, no matter how crazy she sounds.

and, while i like the house where i live now, the only space that's mine is my bedroom. and i have two terrific roommates. only, they're still roommates.

so i've been waiting patiently, storing my moneys, for the perfect place. which should NOT have worked out. when i looked at it a month ago, it was just out of my price range...which made me only love it more (see: she who begins text messages while parallel parking and other self-destructive behaviors). then, a week ago, he lowered the price!!!! anyway, i love nothing more than creating a comfortable space. i love design, decor, art, food, entertaining...and haven't been able to do any of it in some time. so, psyched. so much so that i sat in the driveway of said condo today, staring at it, listening to "quedate luna." creepy. i know.



p.s. you must be worried about hannah's absence. it's become a bit much. i can only say, she's writing elsewhere. this is the woman who spent an afternoon at my house deciding whether to use the word "clothed" or "dressed." (it's completely obvious, i realize. who says clothed?) anyway, i'm concerned as well. typical behavior patterns: inattentive husband (me) becomes shocked and confused to discover unappreciated wife (her) has taken up salsa dancing (book) behind his back and is leaving husband for javier bardem.

9 comments:

hannah said...

1. thank god javier bardem isn't a stand-in for something or someone else.

2. how in the hell did you figure out how to make music play AUTOMATICALLY?? i've been wistfully dreaming of the day i would learn this trick.

3. i had such an excitable reaction to yr new place that it was creepier than you serenading it. i wanted to bring it color and life! jsut like salma hayek did to matthew perry's duplex in 'fools rush in'

Unknown said...

Love the NEW DIGS!!!! My schedule for "entertainment" is more open on the weekends. I will be on the lookout for my invitation.

eric said...

Seriously, at some point between all of your creating a comfortable space, love of design, decor, art, food, and entertaining, can you figure out a way to have the music player NOT start when I click into this blog? It's a little annoying in a Myspace kind of way. Thanks. xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

i guess this means you're getting your nude painting back? awesome.

Mamie said...

it's weird, eric. i know i should get on the blog and quickly assess all the ways i might appease you. and yet i don't. huh.

also, g. singleton typed out (in 24 font) the "i love decor" sentence and posted it to the wall outside my classroom.

eric said...

I wish I had a tshirt that said I love decor. OR. I should change my name to Decor, or does it souund a little too European? Anyhoo. Yes. Appease me. As everyone should. (that sounds a little dirty, huh?)

eric said...

Ha. In all my babbling, I forgot to say, nice lookin' place you got there.

sallylynn said...

NEW HOUSE!

hooray!

i will come for the painting party. and i will cook and dance in your kitchen, salma hayek-esque. or i'll just stick to painting. and bourbon. but not together, as your ceiling will be pink and my hair blue.

YAY!

julia :: the long long swing said...

i almost moved into that place back in 2001 but the kitchen was way too small. i love how they enlarged & opened it! great spot...
you buying or renting (sorry if i missed that somewhere)?