The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

it's not you. it's hannah.

listen: hannah's back on the book. as in, there's been all this talk about finishing it. and whenever one of us gets on the bookwriting wagon, the other just finds the whole thing silly. it's our twinned rebellious streak self-defense mechanism. like, i begin screaming "poetry" while performing an interpretive dance dressed only in magnolia leaves to "suddenly i see." hannah snorts, says something about the lameness of it all. anyway, she's writing, which means it's my turn to get my hair done.
(incidentally, she's using some terrible thesaurus. like, she wants to coin a word for "charging," as in the bull charges. she types in: frantic, running, desperate, attack. the thesaurus says, "canter," and "lope." similar to when you find yourself in a trailer park in easley while looking for a new restaurant and the GPS system says, "you are AT your destination. you are AT your destination.")

i call hannah today and she actually answers:

me: thank god. what should i do with my hair?
han: i definitely like the honey blond instead of that thing with red you sometimes do.
me: what about cut?
han: um, i trust you on that one. it always seems so, uh, well formed. like it'll just stick with you. no matter what. like, it's not going anywhere."
i realize she's referring to, instead of the elements, my personality. like she's shocked my own hair puts up with me.
me: do you know what propitious and carbuncular mean?
han: yeah. i mean propitious i do.
me: a carbuncle is a festering, pustuous wound.
han: why are you telling me this?
me: they're in the waste land.
han: have you ever thought maybe people don't use words like that anymore because, i don't know, we don't walk around with open wounds these days?

later:

han: how's the hair?
me: blond and bobbed.
han: maybe you could send me a picture. or i can see it myself when you come visit in, who knows, like six months.
me: yeah, when we finally see each other, i show up with a long, golden brown braid down my back.
han: so you're showing up as sally?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

blond? perfect.

hannah said...

you left out how sometimes you get your hair so drunk, it gets giddy and does unexpected dances.

Anonymous said...

I would like a picture. Also, the "you're showing up as Sally" line almost made me cry. I'm having kindof a shitty day though and I would really like to meet everyone for a drink. I'll even go to the Blue Post which you know I'm never down for. Sigh...

JaySlacks said...

I witnessed Hannah working on the book, across the table was the Sim. And, just when I thought they had formed some strange unit that constructs books from the ether, I get this.

Sim: I can hear the Port city music through my earbuds.

Han: Yeah, I hate that.

Sim: Me too.

Interesting indeed.

Mamie said...

oh, hell. michelle, i forgot how you hate blonds...

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't say hate. maybe it has something to do with my mom resembling olivia newton john...and every GUY i ever dated having a crush on her. who the fuck knows...

hannah said...

dais, aren't you hearing us? we're coming! napa!

or come here! sal will be here, which means there will be wine at 11 am and fresh bread and song.

--

jarv, ether? me? my book is abt characters who break up over sausage biscuits and coffee.

Anonymous said...

Wait. Y'all wait until 11 a.m. to start drinking wine? I am so NEVER coming if that is the case.

Or is that because you start drinking mimosas at 8 a.m.? In which case - I am there.

I will be there soon... But are you REALLY COMING HERE? REALLY?!

Mamie said...

yes, dais, i think we've "settled" for the west coast.
so excited...we just haven't talked dates yet (dates, in general, are a sore spot in our relationship.)