The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

in your face(book)!

It’s like this: I can barely function b/c my brain is too busy arguing with new meds to pay attention to me. Left thus unattended, the rest of me has been playing hide and seek with the cat all day. There I go scrambling under a table, clamping a hand over my mouth so Maus doesn’t hear me giggling.

And this guy named Parks Carleton is calling me about a Jaguar. That's right, Parks Carleton. It’s selling at half its blue book value. Which means I’ll have to put my feet through the holes in the floorboard and run, but at least I’ll have a hood ornament.

On top of this, it’s Application Rush Week on Facebook and things have reached fever pitch. Every day, there are fifty new emails jostling elbows in my inbox. Accept a drink! Send a shot! Throw a penguin! And all these invitations demand that you not only accept them, but round up new recruits. Lately, Facebook is pandemonium. An army gone amuck. Go take a look. We’re all bellowing at each other like lunatics: I WANT YOU ON MY WAGON! HUG CUDDLE PUNCH CHEST BUMP OR PINCH HANNAH NOW!!!!!

The My Lil Green Patch application involves Andrea and Dug running about on my imaginary plot of grass costumed as Straw Barry and Sweet Clementine. They’re running from cartoon bunnies and deer but if I don’t force every single person I’ve ever met to play this baffling game by persistently emailing them, the real rain forest, the actual breathing trees down there in South America will DIE.

What Color Are YOU? What Character Are You on the Hills? What’s Your Secret Sexual Fantasy??

Mamie sent me the Best Friends application. And I foolishly felt something like glee when I realized she was declaring us Best Friends. Upon further investigation, I learned I was in fact Best Friend number 12. That, combined with the fact that I’m not in her Top 8 Hotties, made me lock myself in my room and blare ‘You Can Go Your Own Way.’

I am not joining any of you people on the Oregon Trail. It’s hard enough to shower every day, I cannot be a pioneer with you.

Nothing beats out, though, the applications which invite you to buy people pretend drinks and pretend gifts WITH REAL MONEY. Want to send Emma a fake beer? That will be $3.50 and we’ll need your credit card number please. What. The. Fuck. It’s like the Emperor’s New Clothes. Somewhere, a sixteen year old kid is living large and shouting ‘SUCKERS!!!’

And there’s no way out. Like an exorcism gone wrong, I’ll remove the entire application, only to find the next morning that I am part of a virtual parade, along with several other of my educated friends and that Mamie’s bought me an Aloha shirt and that I have celebrated Diabetes Awareness month with Miriam and Daisy. What’s that? You want to accept the Happy Hour Invitation from Jarvis? Sure thing. Just import all your contacts from Gmail and get them to join. Then you can pretend to enjoy your make believe Mojito.

6 comments:

Cue said...

That goddamned Green Patch is killing me. There's a rabbit in the garden, the plants are multiplying, and I can't afford a virtual garden hose with my virtual "green bucks." Am thinking of ploughing over the whole thing and putting in a nice virtual bar instead.

hannah said...

I know! I know! And we're meant to tend other people's gardens constantly. 'Carlyle is working late, could you weed, hoe, water, and make out with his grassy patch?' (Ew.)

But all the while, I'm panicking b/c of the screaming trees and the rising, suffocating CO2 levels AAAAHHHH

eric said...

I spent $26 on this star.
_./'\._
*•. .•*
/.•*•.\

Damn interwebs.

Anonymous said...

riddle me this. riddle me that. what are you promoting the new batman movie with this color?

Cue said...

Exactly. I can't say I want to make out with anyone's grassy patch. Or water it, for that matter.

Cue said...

ps: I just virtually raked leaves for you. It means a lot, I know.