The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

house hunting: definitely, maybe

symbolic character sketch through conversation of the week:

because sunday is my only day off, when hannah asked what i'd be doing that day, i yelled first WHATEVER I WANT!!!! then, definitely, maybe! definitely, maybe! the latest romantic comedy. only, i'm in starbucks and people are staring at me. she says, chilly and with eerie composure, "yes, if i didn't have the kids, i'd be seeing there will be blood."

i've been house hunting these last few weeks and, in doing so, have run into some of the strangest property owners ever.
house I:

found a cute, two bedroom bungalow with an all new kitchen: granite countertops, stainless steel appliances. the owner steps out of his green mazda miada, says almost immediately: "i know the deposit is high. i just don't want you walking off with my stove."

i laugh.

he blinks.

"it's not funny. last tenant did just that. wouldn't be laughin' had it happened to you."


apartment I:

i know immediately i don't want to live here. kitchen appliances are in a closet (i'm not kidding). everything is old. and not in a charming way. more like a place where sylvia plath would live, were she much poorer and more breathing.
which is why, i'm convinced, the landlord keeps talking. she explains to me every other tenant: age, sex, occupation, status. "ryan in 12C works for the zoo." inexplicably, they're all men. she saves the one she's most ashamed of for last. "steven on the bottom floor is, well," whispers "a waiter. but he's young, you know. and doesn't bother anyone."
as if food and beverage people are, across the board, out robbing people between keg stands.

**the part in a reading where i'd say section break while cutting my hand through the air.**

1. while at work last night, i thought up a plan so amazing, so utterly unheard of, i snuck my cell phone into ze apron and ran into the bathroom to call hannah.

"hey," i whispered. "listen. for our trip this summer, i was thinking...a beach house!"

silence.

"we could have friends down. maybe pawley's island."

silence.

i'd forgotten, of course, that hannah lives at the beach, that this would be no trip at all.

we hang up, realizing i'm an idiot.

later:

her: it's that you keep bringing me closer to home. i say nepal/iceland. you say portland. then vancouver. then...the beach.

we're both convinced i'm just trying to recreate grad school holidays at the mountain house where i, on more than one occasion, fell asleep face down with my shoes on. where sally ate butter with a fork because we dared her to. where we all but wrestled ulysses out of bill's hands. where we ran out of alcohol only to discover a cabinet filled with knob creek...like a grad student's alice in wonderland. where we recorded "the weight," "jet plane," and others.

"you realize those days are over," hannah says.

which i don't realize. not at all. only, it reminds me of that scene in when harry met sally, when meg ryan says, "i'm going to be forty."

"in eight years," billy crystal says.

"yeah, but it's out there."

2. val kilmer: the voice of kitt on nightrider. it's weird. no one listened to me when i hated his portrayal of jim morrison in the doors. in other news, tomorrow is the premiere of the new reality show (which looks a lot like double dare) called my dad is better than your dad. yeah, that NBC is doing swimmingly.

3. and yet again i've been had by another great new hip hop song on the radio that turns out to be a sprite jingle. as in, i turn it up. it's catchy. it could very well be the new timbaland beat. and then, inevitably, so drink sprite! followed by a new kids on the block-ish huh.

4. my student uncovered a NYT article last week that "proves" the american people are, and i quote, "hostile to knowledge."

5. marlee matlin, who plays jody on the L word, is going to be on this season's dancing with the stars. i question the integrity of what used to be my favorite series.

6. marie howe, beth ann fennelly, and jorie graham all have books coming out this spring. think of it as a gift registry for the unengaged, unpreggers. my address is...

9 comments:

hannah said...

you're being unfair to yourself. let's not forget the pressure i put on you, the part of a conversation where i said earnestly, 'i'm desperate for your company.'

napa!! the open roads!

Anonymous said...

I was so unbelievably disturbed by the prospect of Marlee Matlin being on Dancing with the Stars, I cannot even tell you.

Beth Ann Fennelly's new book is SO. GOOD. SO. UNBELIEVABLY. GOOD. I mean, reading it open mouthed in public good.

Mamie said...

wait, bolden....i thought it didn't come out until april. am i wrong...HOW DO YOU HAVE IT?

stevie.lynne.kohler@gmail.com said...

WHATEVER I WANT!!!!!

love it.

--

are you trying to find a place for just you?

Anonymous said...

Um, I don't mean to dangle this in front of you, but you DO know someone with a house in Napa (or fine, it's my mom's but she SWEARS it's for the family). And by "the family," she clearly means "Mamie and Hannah." Duh.

Anonymous said...

OooooOOOOOOooooohhhh, I totally have it. I've totally had it since January. I am, officially, the luckiest person in the world -- I got a review copy! Uncorrected proofs! And they are GORGEOUS!

hannah said...

holy shit. dais. i mean, fuck yeah. it's on. summer 09!!!

hannah said...

or 08. whatever it is.

Anonymous said...

I must say that I am "fucking dying" for that Jorie Graham book. April can't come quickly enough.