The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

oh, you're getting on the school bus

last night, i slept the whole night through. finally. as in, i slept until 5:30am. without interruption though, for which i was so grateful that i whimpered with relief this morning.

the first 2 nights, thing 1 came down at 3 am sharp. the first time, i heard her bouncing like a freak down the stairs and so burrowed down into the couch in the den (whatever, it's fine--there will be more beds soon) and held my breath. it's useless. it's worse than being in a thriller. these kids have a radar that beats out every evil movie psychopath. don't even try to hide, it makes the hunt even more viciously focused.

she spots me pretending to be the couch and comes running full speed. i open my mouth to scream No or Get Back, but she's on top of me, bouncing and hugging and gripping and babbling, WHERE DID YOU GO?? I WANT YOU TO SLEEEEEP WITH MEEEEE!" i thought, No. i thought, 3 a.m. No no no.

the next THREE HOURS go like this:

child: wake up.

me: go. away.

child: i love you.

me: %$#&. yeah. love you. leave. go. your. own bed.

child: can i do your hair?

me: mmmppphh.

child, laughing psychotically: i'm bringing the cat to you to say good morning.

reluctant cat is placed on face.

child: i'm going to give you a massage and sing.

so, i lie there, the cat scratches on my face are bleeding. she's hopping up and down on my back and screaming a song in thai about god and children's hearts or something. when i finally get up, my hair is braided and knotted and dreaded and there's a my little pony brush stuck above my ear.

7 comments:

Cue said...

Oh dear god. 3am is just... I mean, there's no reason to be up at that hour if drinking isn't involved. My sympathies!

wrdcreater said...

I think I will stick with my insomnia.... It is more forgiving.

daisy said...

Please stop living my worst nightmares. I'm *this* close to needing to take a xanax before I read anything you've written.

(love you.)

JaySlacks said...

I thought waking up to shit at 4am was bad.

mendacious said...

that's what those kids drugs are for!next time just slip some in the OJ. ; )

Anonymous said...

see, you guys are joking, but i definitely was popping valiums the first few days :)

Anonymous said...

i mean, i have a prescription.

(am afraid that someone will soon realize that i'm a fraud and take them away. just like the first couple of yrs of teaching--felt like i was going to be yanked out and fired at any moment... actually, it's still that way)