The Battlefield Where the Girls Say I Love You



That's just the thing: we will never tell you we love you. In fact, we're here only to hold hands across state lines and yell at the world. We're here to try to touch you across this chasm of flown things. Not even that. At most, I will teach you how to make a gin smoothie when there's nothing left in the house. Hannah can teach you several languages and what to do when your car breaks up with you. Thanks for coming out.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

We can't stop here. This is bat country!

Every day, I get letters from Kan. More often than not, they are written on several sheets of paper which have been taped together to form a Kerouacish scroll. These are generally delivered to my bedside at 5 a.m.--about as long as she can wait, since the child wakes up brimming with feeling at about 3 a.m. and must write it all down.

This is a problem I currently wish I had, given that I had to push my deadline with my agent back yet another 6 months because when I sit down to write there all these itty bitty explosions all through my brain and I have to stop immediately and eat some cheese.

When Kan brings me the letters, she doesn't wake me exactly. She puts her face an inch away from mine and stares. I know she's there. I always know she's there. And if she's there, Aaron's there, because children move in packs. All the better to hunt. It then becomes my goal to look SO asleep she'll just go away. This, of course, never happens. And do you have any idea how creepy it is to have a child or children silently staring at you? Do you?? Because it makes me feel like my house is not really a house, but the mind of Guillermo del Toro. I close the fridge door at dusk, there they are. RIGHT THERE. Silently staring. Eventually whispering: Water, please... I'm thirsty.

Anyhow, this is the latest letter from Kan:

Dear Hannah Aaron had been shouting at me and shouting. And He said I will not play with you and when you tell him not to do that he goes up stairs and I he says Thise things I will never play with you, you Hate me. thos thing. to hannah, love kan

4 comments:

Cue said...

I want that problem, too -- the waking-at-3am-brimming-with-feeling thing. That part of myself has been beaten down by the workaholic part, and I can't seem to manage any words at all. (Except these.)

eric said...

Kids write the darndest things. ;)

wrdcreater said...

As long as they are not holding a knife when you wake, all is good.

Nightmares?

Maybe you can extract the inspiration out of them somehow and sell it, I have $$$.

wrdcreater said...

BTW- Do you have a trunk load of drugs?